Monday, June 27, 2005

Hitting the road

Paul Theroux's The Great Railway Bazaar was my first introduction to travel writing. His fiction is uneven, very uneven but his travel writing is hypnotic. I also have a fondness for Eric Newby - sometimes a bit wordy but toughing it out for his dry humor is worth the effort.
Right now, I am discovering his Small Place in Italy, a spot not much different that the one Under the Tuscan Sun. I like approaching travel with a sense of light-hearted adventure. Especially since something goofy or weird, always seems to happen to me, and so it seems with Newby.

1 comment:

Sonja Sommers-Milbourn said...

I'll never forget it was YOU who introduced me to Theroux, Roberta, when we had our campus book group a few years back! This led me to one of the most delightful summer reads ever...The setting sun chased me along many a campfire evening at the lake while I enjoyed 'The Happy Isles of Oceania' by P. Theroux...I'll always been indebted to you for leading me to him!

~ Sonja