Saturday, May 21, 2005

Muses

I just finished The Artist's Wife, a fictionalized account of Alma Mahler. She made a career as a muse to Mahler, Gropius, Klimt and more. She even attempted the same with a priest who, unfortunately, was sent to Dachau. Not a particularly admirable woman, but fascinating. I don't know a whole lot about Vienna's Golden age or the revolutionary work that followed its decay, and the book gave some interesting insights. It has also piqued my interest in the role of the muse- I plan to follow up soon with Francine Prose's Lives of the Muses, which includes Mahler as one of its subjects.

I would like to integrate the role of art people such muses, collectors, critics, curators into AR100 but I am not sure how that aligns with the outcomes.

Correction- Prose's book does not profile Mahler but should give an interesting counterpoint to the variety of roles muses can play. Are there any male muses?

No comments: